Waterways and Wetlands Permits

Waterways and Wetlands Management Permits

Chapter 105 deals with a variety of Waterways and Wetland Encroachment Permits.  Through a delegation agreement with the DEP Wayne Conservation District may authorize Chapter 105 General Permits.  General Permits can include the following which WCD may issue.

GP-1 Fish Enhancement Structures

GP-2 Small Docks and Boat Launching Ramps

GP-3 Bank Rehabilitation, Band Protection, and Gravel Bar Removal

GP-4 Intake and Outfall Structures

GP-5 Utility Line Stream Crossings

GP-6 Agricultural Crossings and Ramps

GP-7 Minor Road Crossings

GP-8 Temporary Road Crossings

GP-9 Agricultural Activities

For a full list of General Permits go here.

Wayne Conservation District is delegated under the Chapter 105 program as a service to the community.  This allows our office to review, authorize, and inspect permits and permitted sites within the county in for the DEP.  WCD ensures that the project falls within the regulations established by the DEP and US Army Corps of Engineers.

Joint Permits and Waivers

In certain circumstances the size, nature, or location may not allow the Waterway or Wetland Encroachment to be permitted under a General Permit and may need to be permitted under a Joint Permit.  A Joint Permit is a more involved permit that typically requires a consultant or engineer to prepare.  Conversely some projects may be considered a Waived Activity and not require a permit!  As a service to the community WCD offers free consultations on these matters.  

If you're not sure and would like come guidance feel free to give us a call and we can offer some recommendations on your next step to get your project completed.  We can even come out and do site inspections free of charge!

General Permit Application Requirements

1.  A completed copy of the Wayne Conservation District Project Information Form.  This includes our fee schedule.  The fee for the General Permit is listed in the General Permit application form.  For most General Permits WCD waives the E&S review fee.

2. Applicable DEP Chapter 105 General Permit Registration Forms Each type of GP has it's own specific form as referenced in this link and above on this page.  The permit package also includes guidelines for planning your project within the regulations, and any additional documentation(ie mapping, diagrams, or wetland delineations) that may be required depending on the permit.

3. Wayne Conservation District Small Projects Packet This is an E&S plan guide and packet.  This provides some guidance and simplifies the creation of an E&S plan for your project.  Don't hesitate to contact WCD for more guidance on this!

4. A PNDI(Pennsylvania Natural Diversity Index) search result page.  A PNDI is a search which can be accomplished on the Conservation Explorer website.  The cost for this is $40.  You will need to create an account.  This website checks the project area for any species of concern and this check is required for all General Permits.  Again WCD offers guidance on completing this step.


The PA Department of Environmental Protection introduced e-permitting for Chapter 105 General Permits this year.  All Chapter 105 General Permit applicants are encouraged to apply through the e-permitting system.  If you are unable to apply through the E-permitting system at this time Wayne Conservation District is still processing paper permits.


StreamStats is useful for determining watershed size and much more useful information.

The Pennsylvania Natural Heritage Program is home to the Pennsylvania Conservation Explorer-"A one stop shop for conservation planning and PNDI environmental review."

The USFWS National Wetlands Inventory is a useful tool to see larger wetland locations but not a substitute for a wetland delineation.

DEP Waterways Engineering and Wetlands is a good resource for relevant information.

Statewide Existing Use Classifications for water.

PAFBC Trout Water Classifications