The 2022 Wayne County Ag Day is scheduled for Friday May 6th, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Wayne County Fairgrounds, 270 Miller Drive Honesdale PA.
The 2022 Ag Day is an opportunity for the local agricultural communities of Wayne County and surrounding areas to come together and learn about new and innovative technologies, services, product lines, machinery, and markets available from local area agribusinesses, associations, and industry supporters. It is also an opportunity for agricultural enthusiasts and those wanting to get into agriculture to learn about their local Ag industry and have a chance to attend educational meetings presented by Penn State Extension Educators and other industry professionals from across the state.
This year we have four guest speakers presenting educational meetings during Ag Day. Our first speaker is Krystal Snyder, Penn State Extension Horticulture Educator from Northampton Co. Ms. Snyder will be giving a presentation on “Market Gardening- What you Need to Know” at 10 a.m. in the Beef Barn.
Our second speaker is Melanie Barkley Penn State Extension Livestock Educator from Bradford County providing a workshop titled “It’s a Wormy Deal” from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m in the sheep and goat barn. This workshop will cover topics including the overview of the internal parasite life cycle and techniques to prevent parasite infection for sheep and goats. Attendees will also be able to receive hands on training of the FAMACHA scoring system to assess anemia levels in sheep and goats. This program will cost attendees an additional 25$ to cover cost of handout materials, score cards, and other workshop costs. Payment can be made during Ag Day registration or at the event, however registration is highly recommended to be able to attend this workshop.
Our third guest speaker is Craig Williams, Penn State Extension Dairy educator from Tioga County. Mr. Williams will be offering a presentation on “Mortality Composting, the Good, the Bad and the Animal Disease Response Scenario” starting at 1 p.m. in the Beef Barn.
Our final guest speaker is Dave Hartman, Penn State Extension Livestock Educator from Lycoming County. Mr. Hartman will be giving a presentation titled “A Doxen Practices to Make Your Grazing Program More Effective in 2022” at 1pm in the Sheep and Goat Barn.
Participating exhibitors will have their educational booths set up in the Dairy Barn, and some local farm equipment dealers will have their equipment on display down the Midway.
During this year’s Ag Day, Ag industry professionals will act as “Ask the Experts” and offer industry relevant information to interested attendees throughout the day. Some of this year’s list of “Ask the Experts” include:
- Making it Through Tough Times Together- Wayne Count 4-H–
Jessica Scull- Wayne County 4-H Program Coordinator and Wayne County 4-H Teen Council Members
- Honesdale FFA-Kayla Hack- HHS Agriculture Teacher and FFA Advisor and members of the Honesdale FFA Chapter
- Maple Production in Wayne County- Andy Curtis-Journey’s End Farm & Todd Klikus -Augusta Acres
- H20 – Properties, Purities, and Problem Solving – Pat Mohn- Master Well Educator, Penn State Extension-Wayne County
- Market Vegetable Production –Krystal Snyder-Penn State Extension Horticulture Educator
- “Mortality Composting, the Good, the Bad and the Animal Disease Response Scenario” - Craig Williams- Penn State Extension Dairy Educator
- Livestock Production in NEPA- Dave Hartman- Penn State Extension Livestock Educator
- Ag Safety- Penn State Extension- Wayne County & Bonnie LaTourette- Wayne/Pike Farm Bureau
Other features that will be offered during the 2022 Wayne County Ag Day include:
- The local products bar- samples of Milk, Cheese, Ice Cream and Specialty Meats will be offered throughout the day to attendees to showcase the value-added products from local agribusinesses such as; Creamworks Creamery, Calkins Creamery, Hardler Farm, Dairy Farmers of America, etc.
- In addition, some health screenings for area farmers and family members will be provided by Wayne Health Services. They include: Blood Pressure Screenings, Nutritional Counseling, Suicide Awareness Info, Dental, Lyme Disease Info, and Adaptive Equipment for Agriculture
- Elected Officials Meet & Greet- This is an opportunity for some of our Local Elected Officials to mingle and speak with the attendees of Ag Day which will be during lunch in the Large Livestock Arena.
- Door Prizes donated by exhibitors and supporters.
- Lunch will be prepared by The Red Schoolhouse and sponsored by our exhibitors.
There is no charge for attendees, registration is requested by May 2nd for lunch by either calling the Penn State Extension Office toll free- 1-877-345-0691 or online at https://extension.psu.edu/wayne-county-ag-day
Walk ins are accepted the day of the event, however registration is appreciated to make sure there is enough food for lunch.
If you have any questions about the event please feel free to contact Chelsea Hill at email@example.com or call 570-253-5970, extension 4110.